Enrolment Eligibility (entry criteria)
To be accepted onto the programme, applicants must:
There are no academic requirements for admission to this programme. Applicants must:
- be a domestic student;
- be at least 18 prior to commencement of the programme;
- be able to communicate competently in English. Applicants may be requested to undertake an English language test at their own expense;
- be physically and mentally able to perform the role of the care giver;
- undertake health screening and be cleared to work in a healthcare setting; and
- have no criminal record. Applicants are required to complete a NZ Police Vetting Service Request and Consent Form prior to enrolment.
Note: Employees and volunteers (includes work experience placements) may be required to undergo initial and ongoing checks to ensure they are a fit and proper person to provide support in the health and wellbeing sectors.
The NZQA states that one credit generally equates to approximately 10 learning hours. Trainees need to plan their learning commitments as follows:
||Expected Time commitment
|Tutor Contact hours
||6 hours per week
||13 hours per week (minimum recommended)
|Tutor directed hours
||Approx. 5 hours per week (minimum recommended)
Recognition of Prior Learning
You may have already gained knowledge and practical skills that could be recognised and credited towards your study, these may have been gained through.
- Study while at secondary school
- Workplace learning
- Other tertiary study
- Life experiences or voluntary work
You may be able to seek recognition of prior learning (RPL), credit transfer (CT), cross credit (CC) or recognition of current competencies (RCC).
If you believe you are eligible to have your prior learning recognised, please contact the Training School on 06 755 0558 ext 900.
Workplace experience is essential for successful completion of the New Zealand qualification. It is preferred that you are currently employed in a support worker/care giver role (see Learning Commitments above). However, it may be possible to complete the qualification through workplace learning at Maida Vale Retirement Village. For further information on workplace learning at Maida Vale please contact the Training School on 06 755 0558 ext 900 or ext 905.