The aim of the Competency Assessment Programme is to enable successful applicants to demonstrate their ability to meet Nursing Council of New Zealand’s competencies for their scope of practice to gain Nursing Council of New Zealand registration.
The Competency Assessment Programme is delivered over a period of 8 weeks. There are two parts to the programme. Part One is delivered over the first three weeks and includes the following topics:
Part One Topics:
- Nursing Council of New Zealand (NCNZ) Competencies
- NCNZ Code of Conduct and Professional Boundaries
- Legislation, Documentation and Reflection
- Leadership and Delegation
- Head to Toe Assessment
- Safe Manual Handling
- Treaty of Waitangi, Maori Health and Cultural Safety
- Medication Management
- Infection Control
- Wound Management
- Mental Health
- Dementia, Delirium and Depression
- Health and Disability Consumer’s Rights
Part two is delivered over 5 weeks. Students will gain a total of 200 hrs work experience in clinical practice. Students will work alongside a designated preceptor who is a Registered Nurse. All preceptors have a minimum of 3 years New Zealand work experience and have completed preceptor training.
Eligibility for Enrolment
- Have written notification from the NCNZ of the requirement to complete a Competence Assessment Programme.
- Meet English requirements laid down in the NCNZ’S registration policy for overseas nurses prior to entry to the Competency Assessment Programme. Such as, the International Language Testing System (IELTS) with a score of at least 7.0 in reading, writing and speaking retrospectively; Or the Occupational English Test (OET) with a B band in each section.
- Have verified documented evidence of a minimum of two years clinical experience as a registered nurse in a ward environment, including having worked in this setting within two years.
- Provide evidence of 6 months employment in New Zealand or another English speaking country, in a healthcare setting.
- Be able to demonstrate their ability to communicate effectively for the purpose of practicing in the New Zealand setting.
- Provide current evidence of a Police clearance from the country where the applicant holds current registration.
For further information please click on this link and read Competency Assessment Programme Booklet We have small interactive training sessions with limited applicant vacancies. You will not want to miss out on the opportunity to attend this NCNZ approved CAP Programme and the opportunity to explore our beautiful surrounding community.
Intakes remainder 2017 – 2018
- 9 October to 4 December 2017 Full – No Availability
- 15th January to 9th March 2018 Full – No Availability
- 19th March to 14th May 2018 Places Available
- 21st May – 16th July 2018 Places Available
- 30 July – 24th September 2018 Places Available
- Tuition fee is $8100.00 for the 8 week programme.
Accommodation onsite (Limited 8 persons)
Shared accommodation is available for $100.00 per week.
Hut (Small Apartment) x 2 persons.
The Manor (Maida Vale -Staff House with Room available) x 2 persons.
Day Rooms (Within Ocean View Lifestyle Apartment Complex) x 4 persons. Coffee Tea making facilities in room, small fridge, shared kitchen available to cook meals.
Internet is provide onsite for course use only. Internet for personal use can be purchased from the main office at Maida Vale.
New Plymouth Backpacker, Budget and Hostel Accommodation
Bus Timetable – Bell Block – New Plymouth
NZTA information for visiting drivers:
Flights – Arrival/Departure – New Plymouth Airport
Visit New Plymouth
Whats on in New Plymouth – Taranaki
Events Cinema – (Movie Theatre)
New Zealand Nursing Council
NZQA – New Zealand Qualifications Authority
Taranaki District Health board
Other Useful Agencies
Citizens Advice Bureau
Water Safety New Zealand
General Practitioners – close to where you are living
Oral health – private Dentist
Right to be treated with respect by health and disability providers
If you have any concerns or wish to complain, you should contact that provide your care or the Health and Disability Commission
Phone 0800 112233
Contact us for an Application Pack today