Compulsory Topics include:
- Caring for Vulnerable People
- Supporting Diverse Cultures
- Supporting People
- Managing Medical Conditions
Electives (one only to be selected):
- Caring for the Elderly
- Dementia Care
- Palliative Care
- Wellness Interventions, Care and Support
Entry into Healthcare Level 3 is restricted to those who:
- have gained the New Zealand Certificate in Health and Wellbeing (Level 2); or
- have previous work experience in a health or wellbeing setting; or
- are currently working (part-time, full-time or casual) in a health and wellbeing setting (employed or voluntary).
Any student entering the programme without first completing the New Zealand Certificate in Health and Wellbeing (Level 2) must have achieved:
- either, unit standard 23386 Support a person to meet personal care needs in a health or wellbeing setting (Level 3, 5 credits); or
- Module 3 Personal Care and Support (Level 2, 13 credits) within Avatar’s Healthcare Level 2 programme (includes unit standard 23386).
- Be a domestic student:
- be at least 18 years of age prior to commencement of the programme
- Be able to communicate competently in English. Applicants may be requested to undertake an English language test at their own expense;
- Be physically and mentally able to perform the role of a health assistant or support worker;
- undertake health screening and be cleared to work in a healthcare setting; and
- Have no criminal record (Police check required)
Applicants who meet the entry requirements will be accepted onto the programme.
Workplace components are a requirement for students to achieve the New Zealand Certificate in Health and Wellbeing (Level 3) in either the Health Assistance strand or the Support Work strand. Applicants who do not meet health screening requirements will not be accepted for enrolment.