All international students enrolled with a New Zealand education provider are covered by the New Zealand Government’s Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016 [The Code]. This legislation outlines the level of care that education providers (Avatar) must provide to international students while they live and study in New Zealand.
In general, as an international student you can expect that:
- the quality of teaching and learning you receive will meet high educational standards;
- the marketing and promotion information you receive before you enrol is clear, complete and accurate so you can make a well-informed decision about whether an education provider is the right choice for you;
- you will receive enough information and support to help you with your enrolment, including understanding the legal obligations you have, and that you will receive all the proper documentation;
- you are welcomed and have enough information, guidance and support to help you settle into your new life in New Zealand;
- your study environment is safe, and that you have a safe place to live.
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Avatar is required by NZQA to have formal processes for certain practices specified in The Code. One way to ensure we meet our obligations for international students is to have policies and procedures defined within our quality management system (QMS). All policies and procedures are available to students at any time. If you would like to have access to the QMS, please contact Louise or Sheila.
The following list shows specific policies and procedures that are relevant to international students:
- Health and safety
- Student fee protection
- Student code of conduct
- Student complaints
- Student disciplinary process
- International students policy
- Monitoring attendance of international students
- International students at risk
- International student withdrawals and refunds
- Termination of enrolment of international students
Louise Cummings is the contact person for international students. Louise is available 24/7 and can be contacted by phone call or txt on 027 746 6493.
If you have any concerns about your course or learning experience at Avatar, please tell us. We are interested in what you have to say and we welcome all feedback. If there is something bothering you or hindering your progress, let’s work together to put it right. We can’t help you if we don’t know.
If you feel you have raised your concerns with us and you feel we haven’t responded to your concerns satisfactorily to have the right to raise your concerns with the following agencies, New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) or istudents – Dispute Resolution Service (DRS) for international students:
NZQA 0800 697 296
NZQA responds to complaints about alleged non-compliance with the Code of Practice. http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/about-us/make-a-complaint/
For financial and contractual disputes, refer to the Disputes Resolution Service.
Disputes Resolution Service (DRS) 0800 006675
DRS is an independent dispute resolution scheme established by the New Zealand Government. Their objective is to encourage swift settlement of contractual and financial disputes between international students and their providers in New Zealand.
TERMINATION OF ENROLEMENT
If it very important that you are aware that your enrolment can be terminated by Avatar in certain situations. These situations are defined within QMS policy and procedure Termination of Enrolment: International Students are included the following:
- Continued and unexplained absenteeism.
- Exclusion or expulsion in accordance with the Education (stand-down, Suspension, Exclusion, and Expulsion) Rules 1999.
- Provision of false or misleading information by the student on enrollment.
- Insufficient academic progress.
- Failure to pay fees.
- In the event of criminal behaviour (including such behaviour outside of Avatar’s premises).
- An inability to attend due to reasons such as illness or family obligations, where the student cannot make up the missed course time and will need to re-enrol to complete the course.
Click the link below for information on visas required to study/work in New Zealand
All International Students must have appropriate insurance before arriving in New Zealand that covers all of the below items:
(a) The student’s travel-To and from New Zealand; and Within New Zealand; and if the travel is part of the course, outside New Zealand; and
(b) Medical care in New Zealand, including diagnosis, prescription, surgery, and hospitalisation; and
(c) Repatriation or expatriation of the student as a result of serious illness or injury, including cover of travel costs incurred by family members assisting repatriation or expatriation; and
(d) Death of the student, including cover of travel costs of family members to and from New Zealand; and costs of repatriation or expatriation of the body; and funeral costs.
Avatar recommends to students that they use Uni-Care’s New Zealand Student Plan. Uni-Care is a division of Crombie Lockwood and provides insurance packages specially designed to meet the needs and requirements of international students in New Zealand. Avatar provides students with Uni-Care’s information on their NZ student Plan.
Uni-Care’s link if you would like to view is
NEW ZEALAND EMPLOYMENT INFORMATION
If you are considering working whilst you study in New Zealand then please click on the below links to give you the necessary information to qualify to work and also to know your rights and obligations as an employee in New Zealand.
New Zealand Immigration – Employment Rights and Obligations
New Zealand Immigration – New Zealand Study/Work
Employment New Zealand